Sunday, February 27, 2011

I have my mojo back!


If there's anything I picked up on vacation out west this summer, it's the definition of Mojo. Cuban food was something I never had, we don't have any in Pittsburgh. Each ethnicity has its own version of Mojo, Cuban Mojo is made from garlic, olive oil, spices and citrus juices (usually sour orange). It is primarily used to marinate roasted pork or chicken, can also be used as a dipping sauce.

Versailles Cuban Restaurant in Los Angeles used to sell the sauce I use by mail order, sadly, no longer does so. After I run out, I have to try and find a replacement or make my own.

Tonight I made a pulled pork roast in a slow cooker in a mix of water, fresh lemon and oranges, and a splash of mojo. After I shredded it, I put it back in the slow cooker and finished it off with some fresh mojo sauce. Just before serving, I throw it in a searing hot skillet to get a little crust on some of the pieces to add texture. Serve with black beans & rice, as with all Cuban cuisine.

1 comment:

  1. yum! how funny, we had pulled pork tonight too, we should have coordinated and had dinner together! glad you got your mojo back. :)

    ReplyDelete